5 Things on Sunday is brought to you by Reads and Treats.
This weeks topic is:
Tropes that Make Me Pick Up a Book
- Good Love Triangle: I’m a sucker for a good love triangle! Especially one where I can pull for the underdog and secretly hope for the whole book/series that the underdog comes out on top.
- Happy Endings: I know most books don’t have a happy ending, but it’s still something that will make me pick up a book. Who wants to always read books with sad or tragic endings anyways?
- Involves Small Children: I absolutely love babies and small children, so I’m automatically drawn to books that have anything to do with them. Even if the main idea isn’t extremely focused on the child, but brings them up in a round about way (For example The Midwife’s Confession by Diane Chamberlain).
- Drugs Abuse/Substance Abuse Issues: I’m not completely sure why I’m drawn to books like this. Maybe it’s because I’ve never really had to deal with this in my personal life, so everything I know I’ve read from books. This is why I love all of Ellen Hopkins books so much!
- Diary Type Books: Ever since I was in elementary school I can remember being drawn to books that were told in a diary format and, even to this day, I still enjoy reading that format. Recently I found an author (Beatrice Sparks) that has all her books as diaries (I’m sure you’ve heard of her most popular book Go Ask Alice).
The good thing about tropes is you don’t have to know why you like them, YOU JUST DO! So tell me what your tropes are. Are they similar to mine or completely different?