A Shade of Vampire
By Bella Forrest
My Overall Thoughts
I just want to start by sharing with you all that I eyed the kindle edition of this book on Amazon for a couple of months before I decided to buy it. It was only $0.99 so I finally decided to just give it a shot because Bella Forrest was on the top authors list for a long time. Boy, am I kicking myself for taking such a long time to give in. This novel was absolutely amazing. I couldn’t put it down–I was reading it during all of my spare time, even at work. I finished the book in less than 48 hours during a work week. I would recommend this book to anyone because it’s definitely not your “typical vampire story.”
- Characters: The characters in this story are so intriguing. I found myself attached to them so quickly. Sofia’s back story is tragic and immediately she gains your sympathy. Then there’s her relationship with Ben which is interesting from the start. Derek is different and you can’t help but feel some sort of attraction to him, if not simply because of how he is portrayed in the story. The best part is how all of these characters interact with each other. It just keeps you turning the pages.
- The Cover: I just had to add a section in here for the cover because it is absolutely stunning. I swear I could just stare at it forever. The saying “you can’t judge a book by its cover” definitely IS NOT TRUE for this one because the book matches the cover perfectly. To put it into one word, I would choose STUNNING!
- Story line: I mentioned in My Overall Thoughts section about this not being your “typical vampire story” because it really isn’t and I’ve read a ton of vampire novels. This one is different in so many ways and thats what I liked most about it. It didn’t feel like I was reading the same vampire story written by other authors, it felt unique. Then once all the plot twist and shocking events start occurring you can’t help but fall in love with the story.
- Division of Chapters: I also really like that the chapters are told by different characters in the story. I think this is very beneficial in understanding what is going on in the characters head. I think that if the chapters had not been written from different character’s POV it wouldn’t have been as easy to relate to the characters telling it.
- Books in the Series: Another pro for me is that there are currently 31 books in the A Shade of Vampire series. I love when a series I love has a lot of books in it. I also really like that the series is long but it’s split into different characters stories. For example, Sophia and Derek’s story only lasts for 8 books and then other characters get their stories. I think that will keep me and other readers interested because, really, how long can you drag on a story about the same characters (definitely not for 31 books)!
- Ending: Not sure you can really call this a con, but it’s one of the only ones I could think of for this book. The ending was amazing and made me want to dive right in to book 2 of the series but, given I have a ton of other books, I wanted to show some love to those. However, no matter which book I tried to read I just couldn’t focus on it because A Shade of Vampire just left me that intrigued. I couldn’t stop talking about it or thinking about what happens next. I became completely obsessed with the story. So make sure you have the second book in the series before you start the first one so you don’t start feeling like I did!
- Length: I was a little disappointed by how short this book was. Granted it was a little shy of 300 pages, which is perfect for the young adult novel that it is. I think I’m just a little biased with this aspect because I wasn’t ready for the book to end. Thankfully there’s many more books after that so it definitely makes up for it. Also book 2 A Shade of Blood is almost twice as long!
The next book in the series is A Shade of Blood
Thank You and Stay Tuned!